A precious gem referred to as Munsiyari, whose beauty is in its serenity and untouched landscape, is embedded within the crown of the Kumaon Hills, within the Pithoragarh District of Uttarakhand.
Munsiyari is alleged to be the sub-division headquarters and is usually compared to the geographic region for its natural beauty At 2298 meter, this scenic hill station is home to awe-inspiring views of the Panchachuli Peaks, including Nanda Devi and Nandakot.
Apart from a great vacation spot for nature lovers, Munsiyari is a vacation spot for the ones in search of a solitude journey withinside the Kumaon Hills, hiking on much less trodden paths and viewing sight-seeing views, an adventurer at coronary heart can revel in snowboarding and withinside the wintry weather season may even cross for a thrilling Snow Leopard Trek.
In the past, the people of Munsiyari relied mainly on trade with Tibet till the 1962 when Tibet has been conquered by the Chinese. At the time, salt was mostly traded and it took individuals to cross the wide white peak barriers and travel through different passes to meet the best part of a month in Tibet. After trade stopped, people moved to the lower plain areas for work, especially in the winters.
The hill station often sees snowfall, that is why it’s Munsiyari is also known as as ‘Little Kashmir’. Fringed with thick forests, the town is home to amazing wildlife such as the whistling thrust, hawk cuckoo, mountain bear and musk deer, settled on the banks of Gori Ganga. The main people here are the people of the Shauka tribe who worship the Goddess Nanda Devi.
What to Buy:
- Local winter wear with sheep’s wool and rabbit’s wool made by Bhotia Women.
- You will discover and buy natural oranges, cucumbers and different fruits near Sevilla.
- At the Munsiyari Market, you may purchase remarkable handwoven carpets.
- You may also buy Himalayan tree saplings for your house, lawn and lawns from close by nurseries.
Famous Tourist Places:
- Madkot – It is a hamlet 22 km from Munsiyari and is a great region for folks that need to experience photography. Madkot is likewise famed for its warm springs which have soothing properties, aside from its scenic splendour and wealthy flora.
Picturesque: Jauljibi-Madkote Road under Mighty Himalayan Range through a Waterfall
- Birthi Fall – Birthi Falls is 35 km from Munsiyari and a quick trek is effortlessly available. This waterfall is four hundred meters above sea and also can be reached from the Pass of Kalamuni.
- Dharchula –
- Panchachuli Peak –
- Maheshwari Kund
- Khuliya Top
- Kalamuni Top
- Thamari Kund
How to Reach:
Nearest Airport: Dehradun – 214 km from Munsiyari
Nearest Train Station: Kathgodam (275 km) and Tanakpur (286 km)
By Road: Musiyari is well connected via road.
We walked around Munsiyari for the next five days and Kumaon’s hills have left an lasting mark on us.
You might also be interested in: